One of the number one questions the Cook County Recorder of Deeds (CCRD) office receives daily is, “How can I add or remove my spouse/child/partner/parent to my home’s deed?”

For properties in suburban Cook County, the answer to that question is relatively simple, and usually only involves three things: 1. Some type of deed/conveyance instrument, 2. Grantor/Grantee affidavit, and; 3. Exemption sticker/stamp (if necessary). However, when it comes to the City of Chicago, adding, removing or making any changes to the ownership of real property can be a very complicated process—which can cause both frustration and costs to Chicago property owners seeking to make such changes.

chgo guide blog 2

Screenshot walkthroughs to help you with your recording

CCRD has heard the many concerns, and in accordance with its mission of Accuracy, Efficiency and Advocacy, has created a brand new easy to understand resource guide which helps make sense of the complicated process of recording a conveyance instrument or deed for property located in the City of Chicago. The following steps explain how to access it for FREE:

STEP 1– Click the FORMS tab in our blue navigation ribbon

STEP 2- Select the first link available called “New! City of Chicago Deed Recording Requirements” and either open it to view, or right-click on the link to save the document to your computer.

STEP 3 – Use the embedded check boxes as a checklist to ensure you have considered all needed documentation.

The easy to understand guide also includes a recording cost breakdown by individual charge so as to provide the full explanation of how and why the recording costs are what they are. Free copies of certain documents like the Grantor/Grantee affidavit and Illinois Notarial Record form are included.

chgo guide blog 1

Page 1 of the Resource Guide

The purpose of this guide is strictly informational, and does not constitute legal advice in any way.

For any and all additional questions related to a specific scenario or potential conveyance or transfer of property, CCRD recommends consulting with a licensed attorney or other authorized professional.