The Cook County Recorder of Deeds Office, the Downtown Chicago location, Markham, Bridgeview and Rolling Meadows, Satellite Offices’ are all Closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. And due to the Central for Disease Control guidelines, employees are working remotely from home and from our Offices’ but with Limited capacity, due to social distancing. Our Office is working diligently, processing the overwhelming amount of e-recordings’ and recordings’ sent by mail. We ask for your patience and understanding, during this crucial time.
IMPORTANT: THE CHICAGO OFFICE AND SATELLITE OFFICES ARE NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
If you want to e-record a document or send your document by mail, see the e-recording tab, on the left side of this page or see the FAQ’s tab to get information on sending your document by mail.
IMPORTANT: Due to the limited amount of employees, working from the satellite locations, there is no one answering the phones.
If you have any questions or need to speak to someone, call the customer service number, during regular business hours: Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at (312) 603-5050.
Chicago Downtown Office:
Location Information click here
Before contacting us:
1. If you have questions about:
a.) Basic recording information.
b.) How to submit your documents?
c.) How to calculate fees?
Please review the “How to Record Document” on the website.
2. Please review our FAQ website for basic information that might assist you.
3. Contact your own private lawyer if you have questions regarding:
a.) What documents and forms you need for your situation?
b.) How to fill out documents?
c.) How to legally interpret your documents?
4. Contact the Illinois Department of Revenue, if you have questions about MyDec.
5. Contact the Village and City where the property is located for any questions about local recording requirements.
6. The Office does not provide title insurance type services (for example, advising how many liens are outstanding or how much is still due on the property). For that, you may wish to inquire with your own private lawyer or Title Insurance company.
Please contact us for:
Call (312) 603-5050 or Email us at ROD.FAQ@cookcountyil.gov
For Website support and Data subscription:
Email us at ROD.Support@cookcountyil.gov
Before submitting a FOIA:
1. Property records from 1985 forward are available for public inspection online. Click on “Search Public Records” in the left hand column of this website. You can search for records and you can view images for free.
2. The cost for the Recorder’s Office’s public records are contained in the Counties Code statute and Cook County ordinances.
3. The Public does not normally record “Plats of Survey” in the public record – if you need a “Plat of Survey”, you may wish to review your closing documents and/or engage a private surveyor for that inquiry.
If you need to submit a FOIA request, please access the directive form here.
Submit FOIA request to FOIA.ROD@cookcountyil.gov
MEDIA: To reach the office spokesperson, send an email to email@example.com (PUT “MEDIA REQUEST” IN THE SUBJECT LINE) or if after normal business hours, please send a direct message through our Facebook page here –
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A COMPLEX QUESTION OR WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO CALL YOU, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER IN YOUR MESSAGE.
IF YOUR QUESTION RELATES TO A SPECIFIC PROPERTY, PLEASE USE OUR SEARCH RECORDS FUNCTION TO LOCATE SPECIFIC DOCUMENT NUMBER TO WHICH YOUR QUESTION PERTAINS. PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE THE PIN NUMBER OF THE PROPERTY.